‘I’m desperate to do well’-Ollie Banks Interview

 Ollie Banks speaks about his summer move to The Spireites and the season so far. 



  
               




Over the summer Paul Cook completely revamped his Chesterfield squad. One of the most exciting new additions was the resigning of Ollie Banks. Since rejoining The Spireites Banks has formed a strong partnership with midfielder Darren Oldaker which has been pivotal in getting Chesterfield to the top of the league. 



Banks has already got on the scoresheet this season and Town fans have enjoyed seeing Banks unlock defences up and down the league. The 30 year old has even had to pull on the goalkeeper gloves away at Dorking on the opening day and was rewarded with MOTM. 


After leaving Barrow Banks near enough immediately joined Chesterfield but he wouldn’t have been short of offers. I asked him if rejoining The Spireites was a no brainer. 


“Yes possibly one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever had to make in football, a chance to come back to the club that I loved and work under the gaffer again was too good to turn down.” 



Despite it being very early in the season and plenty of tough challenges to come, Banks isn’t surprised to see Town at the top end of the table. 


“I fully expected us to make the start we have after a couple of weeks of pre season I saw the talent and work rate we had in the group.


 I quickly realised we were going to be a good team.” 



The high turnover of players during the summer has seen Paul Cook add plenty of young and raw talents to his squad. I asked Banks how he can help the youngsters of the group. 


“I would like to think I’ve already started helping the younger lads obviously I’ve been through so many highs and lows and experienced so many different situations in my career, any little bits of advice I can give hopefully it can help the younger lads.” 



Banks left Chesterfield in 2016 and since then he’s adapted and changed significantly as a player. 


“I’ve changed in many ways since my last time at the club, I was at a different stage of my life, you learn not to take things for granted the older you get and every season is precious that’s why I’m so desperate to do well for the football club.” 



“The last time I was a young lad with no responsibilities and now I’m older with young kids and seen as an experienced player in the dressing room and all that comes with different pressures, I put a massive amount of pressure on myself to play well every game.” 



“On the pitch I’d say I play deeper now I like to get on the ball and dictate play which is a bit different from last time around but hopefully I can keep chipping in with some goals. 


Whatever I do hopefully it’s for the benefit of the team that’s the only thing that matters to me.” 



Everyone associated with Chesterfield FC is well aware of the goals and aspirations for the season. The club will be doing everything they can to get back into the football league but Banks has his own personal goals too. 


“Personally I want to do whatever I’m needed to do for the team to perform the best i can. 


If it’s goals, assists or just good performances, as long as the team does well we all benefit from it.”


“I don’t think I’ve been involved in a dressing room like this one, well not for a lot of years.


There is such a good feeling around the club, the players and the staff everybody loves coming into to work and working hard to improve and when you have that anything is possible.” 


The Spireites travel to Maidstone on Saturday looking to return to winning ways after a 2-2 draw away at Yeovil. 









Comments

Popular Posts