Welcome Liam Graham

''My injury has certainly changed the path my football career could have taken, but it has only made me stronger and better.''



Chesterfield have signed New Zealand U20 international defender Liam Graham following a spell on trial.

Liam Graham was born in Melbourne, Australia, but spent his youth moving throughout Australia, Singapore, New Zealand and Japan. Graham remains eligible to represent Australia or New Zealand at international level. His journey to Chesterfield has been an eventful one.

Graham was on a family holiday in Croatia when he was offered a trial by Italian Serie B side Vicenza Calcio. He immediately bought himself a pair of football boots, travelled to the northern Italian city and eight days later signed a one-year contract with them.

Graham told the NZ Herald "I think it's harder for kids from New Zealand. I remember going to Vicenza on trial and the Italians asked me where I was from. When I told them, they would give me weird looks, almost like, what are you doing here? They were quite surprised I could actually play."

During the 2011 season, while still at Vicenza, Graham was called up to the New Zealand U-20 squad for the 2011 OFC U-20 Championship. New Zealand went on to win the tournament, beating Solomon Islands in the final.






After two seasons playing for the Vicenza youth team in the Campionato Nazionale Primavera, Graham signed a senior contract with then Serie C/Lega Pro side Ascoli.

Then aged 21, Graham missed the 2013–14 season after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament at the beginning of the season and was left without a contract. Before the 2014 season Graham signed with Monza before being loaned out to Pro Patria.

Speaking to issgenova Graham talked openly about his anterior cruciate ligament ''My injury has certainly changed the path my football career could have taken, but it has only made me stronger and better.''

Graham describes himself as a versatile defender, who is good in the air



''I am a right back, although I can play in any position along the backline. I like to get forward and attack. I’m good in the air. I am an aggressive player and have a good cross and I can score off corners and free kicks. Tactically is where I would need to improve the most.''






Now aged 23, with his injury firmly behind him. After a trial with Coventry where he almost secured himself a deal. Graham then impressed the Spireites hierarchy after a solid display for the reserves against Grimsby. Dean Saunders then had a second look at him against a Sheffield United reserve team and which saw him secure himself a permanent deal.

It's likely Graham will be used in the reserves and hopefully developed into a Chesterfield starter.



Welcome Liam! 

Comments

Popular Posts