Former Spireites midfielder in contention for Head of Recruitment role

Former Spireites midfielder Paul Lemon has become one of the favourites for the vacant head of recruitment post at Chesterfield after being contacted by Gary Caldwell.

Lemon played for the Spireites between 1990 and 1993 before a ruptured cruiciate knee liagament cut short his career at Chesterfield. Lemon previously scouted for Caldwell during their time at Wigan.

Lemon commented ''Very honoured and flattered to of been asked by Chesterfield manager would I be interested in Head of Recruitment role at the club .... fingers crossed now after today's meeting at the ground and hope my phone rings next week''


Lemon writes ''In 1984 I was lucky enough to be offered a career in football and turned Professional with Sunderland AFC making 120 appearances, scoring 20 goals from midfield.

Then 1990 I then made my move south to Chesterfield FC after apperances in the first team at Sunderland AFC dried up. Everything was going so well at Chesterfield FC and I was happy with life until a league game in 1992 changed my life. I suffered a ruptured cruiciate knee liagament and was out of the game for 9 months. I played another 60 league games after my injury including a memorable game at Liverpool where we drew 4-4 but was never the same again.

1993 came and my contract was up for renewal and although I was never the same player before my injury, I thought I would be offered another deal, This didn't happen.So after 11 years , 200 league games 35 goals in the Professional game I was on the soccer scrapheap at age 28 and with my 2 children Jordan and Gabriella and a large mortgage to support I had some big decisions to make. Do I try and stay on the professional circuit, go part time, take a coaching role up or make a complete break from the game I loved?

With a family to support, the latter was the decision I made and in 1994 got myself a job at Prudential as a Financial Advisor. I stayed with The Pru till 1998 when I became an Independent Financial Advisor for a company in Sheffield till 2008''

More recently Lemon has scouted for Huddersfield Town, Sheffield United, Wigan Athletic and most recently Scunthorpe United.

Lemon, who still lives in Chesterfield, took to social media to thank friends for their support with his application ''Thanks for all your kinds words everyone ... and if luck shines with me I get the job... everyone who knows me ...knows I will put in the graft and mileage to try and get the right players to the club .... players with character , physique and who are comfortable on the ball''




Comments

Popular Posts