Dean Saunders on Talbot, Ryan, Roberts and Clucas

Dean Saunders: "My toughest job, keeping all the players that have done well at the club."



"There's Drew Talbot, Jimmy Ryan and the big French boy out of contract, all three of them are really good at what they do."



On Drew Talbot;

''I can't work with lazy players" "my favourite player would probably be Drew Talbot or players like him"

"I'm trying to speak to him now, I don't know where he is, but I am trying to get hold of him now, he'll ring me back as soon as he gets the message"

"I think he'll be getting some offers from other teams."

"You just need to get him fit, he'll run through a brick wall for you. You want him in the trenches with you." "You need players like him on your team and if the footballs not working you can rely on him"



On Jimmy Ryan;

"Jimmy's a really good footballer and I don't want to lose him"

"I've only spoken to Jimmy so far, I said to him, ring me when you're back, he's back from his holidays today. I'll speak to him later on and try and keep him at the club"

"I'm not confident of keeping any of them because I don't know what they've been offered. I've made the calls, asked them what they're doing."



On Gary Roberts;

"Gary Roberts I've always admired, I tried to sign him at Donny, I had him at the stadium he went a signed for Swindon. Paulo Di Canio had him running up and down the pitch on his own, he phoned me up the next week asking if he could come back!"

On Sam Clucas;

"He's a good player, really good prospect and I'm really looking forward to working with him, I'm hoping we can hang onto him, it's going to take a massive offer for us to lead him out the door, he's one of the players you want to keep."

On David Dunn;

"Obviously he's a good player, I've worked with him at Blackburn, really good player David,
I don't know how fit he is but the problem I've got at the moment is I'm waiting for the vultures to come and snap my best players up and sometimes they'll be prepared to wait."

"If I dive in too soon with the players I want, I've got lists of players I'd like in but if I dive in to soon
and players leave who I didn't expect to leave, because we get offers we can't refuse or they want to leave then I find myself messing my budget up"






On Lee Fowler;

"He's a great footballer Lee, wasted talent, which I've told him. I enjoy watching him train, he's similar to Jimmy actually.

Plays similar, really good on the ball, really talented, lost his way, should be playing in the Championship. Lee is a good a footballer as anybody in League One. I can't move right now as I don't know what's going to happen with Jimmy, but I'm trying my best to keep him."

"I hope the fans can be patient, I will be signing some good players, but we might have to hang on a bit."

"If I like them, I'm going to do my best to keep them."

"I'm a manager and I've got to get results, I've got to win, so I don't want to be losing my best players."

Extracts from Radio Sheffield interview with new Chesterfield manager Dean Saunders


Comments

Popular Posts