Pope the answer to Spireites prayers?



Port Vale striker Tom Pope has gone on record saying he 'cannot afford' to take a pay cut.

Pope who has scored 66 goals in 177 appearances since joining Vale on loan in 2011, has been offered a new deal by the League One side.

Pope has claimed
"I want to stay until the end of my career" 
"But next summer I'll be 30. I cannot afford to take that sort of pay cut. If I was 18, it wouldn't be a problem."
Pope signed a 2 and a half year deal in February 2013, when he was Vale's leading scorer, having scored 27 goals.  Port Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite has already publicly stated that he was unhappy with the terms offered to Pope by his former business partner Paul Wildes, who was then the Vale chairman.

"It is disproportionate to what our turnover is and to our fan base," said Smurthwaite last month. "At the end of the day, we're trying to run a business.".

Pope who already knows current Spireites Daniel Jones and Samy Morsy may find it easier to settle at Chesterfield and The Spireites will fit Pope's ambition and playing level
"Nothing's changed, he's put a contract offer to me. But, if the club can't budge, then it's something I'll have a look at in the summer.''
"I don't want to move anywhere but I'm not going to hold them to ransom. I've not gone in and kicked his door down."

Comments

Popular Posts